About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Sunday, 20 September 2015

According to plan - and the things that don't!



So, berating myself for not actually doing anything with my blog since August, I find that the blog posts I had done and scheduled to publish were just sitting there, glaring at me with that malevolent look that says 'go on, I dare you!'.  So, that didn't go according to plan.

Oh well, one published, another ready to go later and this one under construction.  

And what else didn't go according to plan?

Well, there was the holiday that never was.  I should have been putting my feet up in Scotland for a week, but all those hospital appointments came to something.  In the 2 days before setting off I saw 2 consultants (they move faster when you cross their palms with silver, a lot of silver) and was told getting in a car and driving for 2 days to a remote part of Scotland a long way from possible hospital care was not a good idea.  My GP said 'are you really going?'  closely followed by 'bring me in the travel insurance claim form and I'll complete it for you (in return for 25 pieces of silver crossing his palm).  Seems I have Crohn's Disease.  Google if you like but it is a bit gruesome, very painful until under control, chronic, as in stuck with forever, and probably not for discussion around the dinner table.  I'm glad we didn't go, I'm on a mega dose of steroids and my brain is thinking it is back in the psychedelic 1970s.  Also not going to plan is moving from the consultant's private to NHS list - I can't get past his Rottweiler of a secretary - she insists he doesn't mean what he said in the letter he wrote me and 'shall I tell you how this will work?' No, love, you've picked the wrong one to talk down to.  The consultant wants me to have a fast-tracked MRI and be in his clinic in 4 weeks (this is week 3) and the NHS has given me an MRI date for 9th February 2016.  Let's do the time warp now?  This could turn into a Rocky Horror for someone.

Image result for free clip art stomach pain

As one who is big on 'brick bats and bouquets' can I just say that all bar the holiday cottage people  insisted that we have refunds or not pay in the circumstances.  How lovely is that?  Even the holiday cottage owners have said they will discount our next holiday when I am able to travel and will discount further if the travel insurance don't pay up.  I'm sure they will, but if they don't I shall be having words with Benenden Healthcare who sold it to me, seeing as they funded some of my private medical care and tests!   

As a thank you for my wonderful 2nd home from home for my merry moggies, a bouquet - made by a new Clevedon florist Peony & Rose- aren't they gorgeous?  I was tempted by a bouquet I saw at our local country market yesterday, but it was vegetables or flowers and the veg won.  Perhaps when business picks up in the autumn, I can treat myself?



I've had 3 household 'disasters' - a leaky radiator, the loo packed up and the vacuum cleaner died on me, thank heavens for extended warranties and heating and plumbing care plans.  We've more than covered our costs with those this week.

Then there was a kiln 'diz-ast-er dahling' moment, said in my best Craig Revel Horwood voice - everything came out with luminous spots and ruined an entire firing - problem solved and lesson learned.  They're quite pretty but not what the customer ordered, so will be in my sale bin at a fair.  They should have looked like these, not radio-active measles after a Sellafield staff party!



And just as you think it is safe to come out of the kitchen ............... I have a steroid induced brain fog disaster!  I made some pendants.  I used some transparent frit on the base layer. What attribute does 'transparent' have?  it's not opaque    Bench full of pendants that will not hide metal bails.  OK, let's think about this.  After several cups of coffee I worked out that I would have to make glass bails, so armed with a metal one, some thin strips of compatible glass and another cup of coffee I made some bails that I first kiln annealed so they didn't fall apart, then tac fused to my pendants so they won't fall off.  Whilst I am not sure this is a new way forward, I am pleased with how they turned out seeing as it was a 'wing-it' plan and design.   It's those at the top of the page - what do you think?  They are week 38 in my 52 things in 2015 year long challenge. 

So, what to do?  I'm thinking sit down and don't move, less can go wrong that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment