About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 20 July 2015

Little steps!


Nothing like a blog for making you feel you aren't keeping up!  I'd like to say I've been sitting on the sofa with a good book, but that'd be a lie (well, for a lot of the time).

So, let's try 'little steps'.  A few words here and there.  With a theme, one I've mentioned before.  My 52 things in 52 weeks challenge on the Craft Pimp forum.  I think alot are falling by the wayside but I'll keep trying......

So, as Horace (Roman poet, I think) said, 'and to make an end is to make a beginning, the end is where we start from'

So, starting with the end, this is my last 52 in 52 make, I think we are up to week 29 now - I have a client (OK, husband - but he is paying) who teaches Heart Rhythm Meditation and wanted gifts for his meditation retreatants and for his hosts when he is in the USA in a few weeks.  He asked for a heart and wings design, so I created these (go me, I drew something, my art teacher would be so impressed), made stencils and then powder printed onto plain coasters.

These are a multi-stage process.  First the 2 layer coaster has to be made, then the glass powder stencilled on, once for the blue ones, in 2 stages for the red and yellow and each has a firing after printing.  Another satisfied customer :)

If you'd like to see my other 52 in 52 makes - they're in a Flickr folder, do have a look.  I also have lots more photos of current work in my Pinterest boards - look for the current month's board as well as boards for jewellery, fused glass etc



No comments:

Post a Comment