About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Sunday, 10 August 2014

Cold, wet, miserable, Hello Big Bertha!



Well, ex-hurricane Bertha is raining on me.  Big time!    And if I'm honest, it's 'raining in my heart' too with a little more than slight dread of the verdict on Ted's longevity, tomorrow.  For those who haven't kept up with events, Ted, my 15 year old moggie is poorly. A 'what's up doc?' visit to the vet and we were given the devastating news that he has renal failure.  More tests back tomorrow that will tell us how advanced, on a scale of 1 to 4, with 5 being Good Night Vienna.

This is the sort of news a family ought to take together and to pull together to get through.  My husband is currently in America at a conference, with a dead computer, a borrowed iPad that hates Skype almost as much as he does and with an airline ticket they would like him to buy all over again if he wants to come home early.  Clearly paying best part of £2k for a seat at the back by the loos gets you no favours with American Airlines.  Five minutes of e-hand holding at 'my lunchtime or yours' is about it at the moment.  So, it's just me,  looking at a cat and wondering how ill he is.

Ted seems to be taking it all in his stride and he and Charlie are curled up on my bed like book ends. He doesn't look ill, but then he didn't look ill before they told me he was ill.  He just seemed to have taken to the Demon Drink, Adam's Ale, tap water!  I'm not one to pray, being an atheist, but I've had a word with my ancestors that perhaps now is the time to rally to the cause.


So, frankly, I am struggling to be a participating member of the proletariat today.  My mood and the weather are best described as dull and unseasonal. 

The weather and my mood was more sunny yesterday, the mogs soaked up the sunshine and kept one eye on me in my studio, making glass beads.  This morning, I've emptied the kiln - it looked so full when I left it last night, but looks a poor effort now I've cleaned and prepared them for sale.  I got drowned in the process and as the rain water washed over me it took any enthusiasm I had to do a darned thing today.  I've sorted through some more sea glass pieces for a new Facebook site I've joined  - sea glass auctions - I've so much that if anyone wants any I'm your girl.  OK, woman.  Just contact me.  I'm struggling to stay motivated - and there goes the thunder and downpour yet again.


I have managed to make something - small steps - I keep any beads that don't quite make the grade, usually a tiny kiln kiss or an untidy hole, nothing that you would notice, and make them into zip pulls (or whatever you fancy using them for - apparently they make good stitch markers knitters tell me).  I sell these at fairs and 50% of the proceeds goes to a charity of my choosing.  In the past year I've supported The Dog's Trust, The Donkey Sanctuary and, local to me and supplier of my Merry Mogs, Holly Hedge Animal Sanctuary.


Recently Holly Hedge put out a call for Kong toys for the dogs - I know, it sounds rude, but it's a bullet shaped rubber toy that you load with treats and the dog has to move it about to release the treat.  I had had a couple of good weeks selling beads so bought them a big box of Kong toys.  Just to prove I really do, as I say I do, give a percentage of my sales to charity....


here's the proof!  I know there are folks out there that think 'oh yeh, bet she does, she's just saying that' - but I really do.  So, if you bought handmade glass beads off me in the past couple of months, thanks you, I bought Kong Wobblers with some of it!  I asked Kong if I could buy direct, they declined but sent me a sample - it was huge!  Thankfully there was a Great Dane at Holly Hedge who thought this was perfect - else we'd have had to find a playful pit pony to give it to.

If you would like to give something to Holly Hedge, you can donate from their web page but they also have an Amazon Wish List that you can buy from and have delivered to them.  I didn't know about Wish Lists, how cool is that?
 

 Last time, I think I mentioned I was now making key rings as a new line for my Christmas markets.  I've made a few more and they are now available from my Etsy shop.   I also have a 33% off jewellery sale in my Etsy shop so why not have a look and perhaps start your Christmas shopping early - and generate some more money I can share with one of the charities I support.

An now I need to hug my cat (he'll hate that, not a huggy kind) and have coffee!  

à bientôt


1 comment:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed for Ted, I hope the verdict isn't too bad. I have two cats who are 16 and 17 and just know I'll have to face the same thing at some point too.

    Your beads look great as zip pulls :D

    ReplyDelete