About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 3 February 2014

♫♫ Who knows where the time goes ♫♫



Well, here we are in the second month of the year - I'm sure it was only New Year a few days ago!  Anyone else feel like time is running away from them?  Again??

I think someone is also stealing hours from my days too - I only managed a few hours with my torch this weekend - my husband is very keen on coffee and cake - all of which necessitates a trip out - none of which fits into the diet plan!  Thank heavens we didn't make that a New Years Resolution or we'd have failed before the end of Day 1.  But I am sure my days are only 20 hours long, which would explain why I have reached February before January ended?  Or am I really 'as mad as a bag of bent spanners'?


I recently bought a new tutorial by Sarah Hornik called 'Silver Secrets'.  I know I already have lots that I need to try first but hey, I am easily tempted.  I didn't use the colours Sarah did in her tutorial, not sure the frit I used was the same as hers either but my attempts at this have become #6 in my 52 in 52 challenge.  They are rather large, not as brightly coloured as the examples given but I was rather pleased with them and, having done this twice, nearly set fire to the printed page (no laptop to watch from) turned 2 pages at once, lost my place and still kept the bead moving in the flame I am triumphant! I think future beads will be a bit easier, I am a bit of a recipe follower when I start something new.  In these beads there are several colours of glass, some silvered ivory (ivory glass wrapped in fine silver and mixed in) as well as fine silver leaf.  

This morning, I met with Sharon Fielding from Gert Lush Designs; Sharon lives nearby-ish and is working on the same on-line business course as me so it was lovely to catch up and confer.  She makes stunning jewellery from beads so saw these two biggies, not long out of the kiln and only just cleaned as she arrived - and snapped them up.  Have a look at Sharon's website - she makes so many beautiful things, there is sure to be something to tempt you.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Sharon makes with these 2.

 

Who remembers my 'More Tea Vicar' planted tea cups that I made to raise funds for Holly Hedge animal sanctuary during North Somerset Arts Week last May?  A few people remarked 'that won't last long, it'll die in a week', which is true, if you don't water the plant. Now, if anyone can kill of a plant it's me - my parents had green fingers but did not share them with me.  I know that plants die when you don't water them as I have tested this theory to destruction - and no I am not showing you the Weeping Fig in the lounge which is hanging on by only a few leaves.

My planters were very pretty but my kitchen has, apart from my (sad but flowering) Moth orchids which insist on only living on my window ledge, a 'can I eat it' policy.  I'm not really into eating violas, although I think you can eat the flowers, so instead I let the viola live (in the garden where Mother Nature waters it for me) and planted my cup with a basil plant from the supermarket.  You know the ones, grown in a plastic pot, in a plastic sleeve, destined to last 7 days.  It was a bit of a squeeze getting it in the cup, but a stern talking to last May and it obliged.  It gets snipped in an 'off with it's head' attitude every time I cook Italian food and - ta dah - look, oh sceptics, it's still alive!  And thriving.  So, a basil plant will live in a tea cup (drilled for drainage) for 8 months (but sadly the rather lovely cyclamen I bought from the nursery just before Christmas didn't see in the New Year).


Thanks to a few wonderful customers who liked my beads enough to buy them from my Etsy shop  I thought I ought to also make some more of my pretty fritties to replace them. Some lovely beads in pink, purple, blue will shortly be added.

Something Sharon mentioned this morning -  do you prefer to buy single beads or sets?  How many make a set for you?  Let me know, what would you like to see offered?


Don't forget, there is 20% off all my scarves until 14 February - perfect for the one you love (which can be yourself), ideal birthday presents or, don't forget, March 30th is not only Mother's Day but the date Summertime begins, so well worth celebrating.  All of these are individually handmade in my North Somerset studio to my own design.  But what I have in my Etsy shop is all there is - for now I am taking a rest from working with textiles to concentrate on my glass work. 








1 comment:

  1. Mad as a box of bent spanners...priceless :) I too am always looking for the answer of how many beads make a set? Its a tricky one that one :) x

    ReplyDelete