About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Sunday, 29 December 2013

The 52 challenge continues


 

Last year I 'signed up' to a Year Long Challenge - we would all be making 52 things in 52 weeks.  Some joined in, some dropped out, some were on the ball and stuck to the schedule, some of us, like me, managed 52, but not something every week.  But it kept me going!

Week 52's make is above, a beaded pen for my husband, for Christmas.  I wasn't sure he'd like it but getting it back to photograph was a bit of a task, he seems very pleased with it.

More about the challenge can be found here.


I made more beads than I needed to make sure I had a good selection to choose from, so have listed those left over on Ebay, along with some other 'orphan' beads, some more small spacers and assorted other things in the 'I need to have a bit of a clear out' category.  

These listings will end in a couple of days so why now have a look at what is on offer and perhaps restock your bead box for next year?


So, what for 2014?

Looking ahead, there will be changes and challenges.  Some affecting Blue Box Studio, some affecting life in general.  Some things will happen or not happen (keeping 'what' under my hat for now) and that will make other things happen or not happen. Who knows.  Early days.  Some changes will bring challenges, if those changes don't happen there will be other changes which will also be challenging, but for different reasons.  Right now, everything is very uncertain. And a little stressful. 

I enjoyed the momentum that a year long challenge brought so have decided that I need a focus for 2014 too.  I have settled on making 52 different kinds of beads - they might be different techniques, different styles, different ideas; I'm not going to be too prescriptive but have, over the years, amassed rather a lot of tutorials that haven't really seen much use.  I need to get out of my comfort zone and move on to the next level.  I see courses I'd love to go on but haven't the confidence to convince myself I'd get the most from them and, most being several hundred pounds, I need to get the most from them!  Sadly I am not 'of independent means' or bankrolled by a rich husband so if I want to do things I have to find the money myself so choosing what to do is paramount.


So watch out what new things turn up  in my repertoire.  I don't suppose all new techniques will be an instant success, but they will be fun.  Some of them might be good enough to sell and there will be my usual lines of beads on offer alongside.  

With less fairs booked for next year I will need to be selling more beads on-line - or selling up altogether and going back to working full time - this is a business, not a hobby, after all.

Probably the best place to follow what I get up to is my Facebook page, I get far more response there than I do from my blog!  So follow me there - and also be first in line to hear about sales and offers.

Happy New Year and wishing you all that you would wish yourself doe 2014.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely selection of beads, Sue. Good luck with your (intriguing) plans for 2014!

    ReplyDelete