About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Friday, 6 December 2013

New listings, new scarves, new direction


First up - new listings

I've listed lots of Lush hoops on Ebay - these are small coloured rubber O rings which can be used as spacers on charm bracelets like Troll and Pandora, or on the popular PVC jelly bracelets that so many are wearing.  They can also be used in chainmaille as slightly expandable jump rings or whatever use you have for a rubber O ring.  These are from Lush Lampwork, hence their name and on sale because I am having a studio clear out. 5-day listings starting today and at no more than 99p starting price, combined postage and at less than they cost me to buy.


I've been listing and re-listing silk and velvet scarves in my Etsy shop, along with some more bracelets, brooches, with necklaces are to follow.  It's all a bit dependent on my not living under a dark cloud so I can get photographing.


And what 'change of direction' I hear you ask.  Well, I have mentioned it in passing, if you were passing at the time.  I've made two decisions which are inter-related and linked.  

After a lifetime working with textiles, from making my own clothes through knitting, dressmaking, working with silk and velvet, I have decided to stop making my range of scarves and concentrate on my glass work.  That's not to say I won't come back to textiles in the future but for now.  If I'm not selling scarves it follows that I can't really sell my shibori dye silk scarf kits either because they will not fit within the glass discipline at fairs.


Sadly it all comes down to money.  Or the lack of it.  My small business has to pay its way, it is not bank-rolled by a wealthy man (although I am open to offers, so long as husband approves) is is not a 'little hobby' to stop me being bored (the tax office, the NI office and the business insurance people seem to have an opinion that it is not and I guess at least 2 of the 3 should know).  


 Each of my scarves is handmade from fabric that has to be textured, dyed, printed, sewn and over the past 2 years the cost of the fabric has increased considerably.  My range of silk dyes has also changed - the manufacturer sold out, the new company reduced the range considerably, changing many colours so to continue making the shibori dye kits would need me to start again researching colours and blends. Oh, and they almost doubled the price to boot!  Yet my scarf prices have gone down not up.  Rightly or wrongly, to keep selling in a depressed market I now sell my scarves for what used to be my wholesale price; this is not sustainable so, for the moment, this is it for textiles. I have some fabrics left but not enough to make another run of scarves viable.  If you are interested in buying dyes, fabrics or dyeing equipment, keep an eye on my Facebook page or here on my blog, I will be listing them for sale at some stage. 


Other things that will not be repeated are my sea glass bottle stoppers ("wine bottles all come with screw caps these days") and my range of polymer clay brooches which I had great fun making but, it seems, are what my husband refers to as 'another one of Susie's mad ideas'.  If you work with polymer clay, keep an eye out, I will be selling off a lot of tools at some stage - unusually for me, I didn't start out by improvising and bought all sorts of things to make these (including a pasta maker! - great for rolling out the clay in preparation of you don't have strong hands, like me).

If anyone is specifically interested in tools, dyes, fabrics email me and I will let you have first dibs when I have got everything together.  I have several rolls of silks that I never got around to using, bought from another artist who was selling up; from memory I think there is a roll of raw tussah silk, some heavyweight silk which I think is probably lining material and some silk chiffon.


No comments:

Post a Comment