About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Thursday, 28 March 2013

Here, there and everywhere


I seem to be here, there and everywhere this past few weeks, with no sign of a pause to draw breath before Sunday!

Last Saturday we were at a fair in Salisbury, this Saturday we (or should I say 'I' - the Roadie gets to bunk off when fairs are close enough to come home and catch up on recorded footie!) will be in the Prince Consort Room, Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare.  Do come and say hello if you are in the area, all the work on show is handmade by the exhibitors - and there is a cafe on site because it is sure not to be a scorching day if the Met Office have anything to say about it.

Am I downhearted?  No, of course not, this is England in the Spring, and a warm welcome awaits at Blue Box Studio.

In between all this too-ing and fro-ing, I've made a few more of my 'More Tea Vicar' tea cup planters for this weekend's fair and clearly I need to say more about these if the last week's visitors were anything to go by!

Yes, they are real plants (so don't grab the flowers, roll in your fingers then exclaim 'oh, it's real, it's come off' as you try to disguise the now trashed flower on the saucer!)

Of course I wrap them for you to get home safely!  Yes, people really thought I was going to give them a cup and saucer and let them walk out of the door balancing it in their hand.  I am armed with bubble wrap and suitably sized sturdy carrier bags so they are easy to carry home.

Planters will now be clearly labelled to better inform people!  The flowers look so pretty, they look nothing like 'plastic plants' and I am determined not to lose so many flowers to grabbing hands this weekend!


And then there is sea glass!  I am determined to sort through all my boxes of sea glass.  I do have rather a lot of it.  A lot of it is not the shape that I want to use in my jewellery and accessories, and quite a bit of it is small but perfectly formed.  So, just so I can make some headroom through this task and start to see the light at the end of tunnel, and the bottom of the box, I've been listing it on Ebay.  At the moment I have some tiny pieces up for grabs, but I expect I'll have some larger pieces on offer shortly.

In the midst of the sorting I have been putting similar sized pieces together and drilling.  Some of these will be used in jewellery, some will be listed as drilled beads for sale and a few have been used to make the unusual bottle openers below as well as a few more bottle stoppers.  I will see how these go before buying more.  They will be listed in my shops after the weekend, if not sold beforehand, but are available direct from me for £10 each plus postage.  If you would like either just message me.


I anticipate Sunday will still be cold, cold, cold so I'm planning to turn on the torch, ramp up the kiln, hog the radiator and make beads, I've missed being out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment