About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Tuesday, 12 February 2013

YLC Week 7 - something different



So now for something completetely different, as they say.  

My week 7 make of the Year Long Challenge is a mix of my 3 disciplines, textiles, glass bead making and jewellery.  I made the beads for these pendants a few weeks ago, working with silver glass to get the colours.  I find silver glass really tricky so was really pleased with these.  Then, with three weeks away from work on post-op recovery I have been unable to do much, so  dusted off my marudai and made some kumihimo (Japanese) braids using some beautiful hand space dyed silks I bought from a silk weaver in Dorset - when I lived there we collaborated over jewellery to match her woven scarves and these threads have been neglected in my work room for far too long.  I made my large focal beads into pendants using sterling silver fittings genuine Swarovski crystals, then suspended them from my handmade braids which have been finished with sterling silver end caps and fittings.

I'm rather pleased with them, and hope you like them too?

Why not leave me a comment? Do you like them. Don't you like them?  Why not? 

They will be available from my Etsy and Folksy shops as soon as there is enough light to be able to take decent photographs of them.  If you cannot wait that long, please contact me for more details.

I've made 2 pendants - I don't think I will have time to make something for week 8 so this is really weeks 7 and 8 together.  

You can see what other challengers have made for week 7 here.


1 comment:

  1. That is just beautiful! I love the colors you chose.
    Blessings
    Campbelljane

    ReplyDelete