About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Friday, 4 January 2013

The 52 in 13 challenge





Some of us on the Craft Pimp forum have committed to do a 52 in 2013 challenge.  The idea is that we will each make something new each week, 52 things in a year.  Some will make earrings, some won't.  I have committed to making 52 'things', you'll just have to follow my blog to find out what.  

I understand the original challenge was by Anke aHa, see her flickr group here, but I thought it would be a good iea to blog my efforts, inspired by the fun blog I've been following New Dress a Day - 365 days $365. 

I have a life, no way could I make a dress a day - or anything a day (except dinner) so something once a week will have to do, folks!

So, week 1 and number 1 of 52  ......................

It's a pair of earrings.  I had a serious loss of mojo over the Christmas period.  To get back into the swing of things I set myself a challenge of making with 2 colours of glass.  Then I dithered over the second colour; until I knocked over my tin of silvered ivory stringers, that is.  With so many broken I decided they were colour number 2 of each day.  For those who don't spend all their money on glass rods, silvered ivory strings are ivory glass, wrapped in fine silver (99.9% pure) leaf then pulled into thin strings for decoration.  They are what makes the organic  colour wrapped round the middle of the beads above.  It's also known as SIS for short, well, acronyms are everywhere aren't they?  At least this one doesn't spell a rude word!

The earrings above are opaque black beads, wrapped with SIS, then wrapped with fine silver wire which melts to beads in the hot flame.  I've made the beads into earrings using clear sparkly Swarovski crystals and they hang from delicate round sterling silver earwires.

Very pretty, but not a 'keeper' - I don't wear pendant earrings!  

If anyone would like these send me a message, they will be £15 plus postage when I list them in one of my shops, but direct from here, before next Monday evening they will be £15 including postage.  Total length of earrings from the top of the earwire is approximately 40mm.

Some others taking part are also blogging their week 1 makes so do have a look at what we are all up to.

Heather Kelly Glass

Linda of Earthshine Lampwork Bead and Jewellery Design

And the Craft Pimp thread for week 1 can be read here

1 comment:

  1. fab post Sue and beautiful earrings they are too!

    ReplyDelete