About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Sunday, 13 January 2013

A challenging week in more ways than one!


I've joined another challenge on Craft Pimp!  This one is to make things outside of your comfort zone.  In my case that is rather a lot of things :) 

Last week I found a tutorial I'd bought yonks ago and battled with one of the very expensive silver glasses.  I think working with silver glass is a bit like riding a bicycle, once you have got it you'll never forget - I'm still wobbling along with stablisers and someone holding the back of the saddle I think.  

The tutorial used a glass called Psyche, and although I had some successes and some not quite as successful beads, all in all I was impressed with what came out of the kiln.  Because I tend to make quite large beads and the glass is upwards of £3 a rod, beads like the one above take about 1.5 rods, you feel you want to get this right each time!  If I say that you can probably get 8-10 rods of white glass for about the same price as one rod of this stuff, you'll see the difference in costs.   But keep it to yourself, my husband thinks the price on the rod is the price per kilo, some things are best left unexplained.




This week I tried a different silver glass, and another tutorial, again with mixed results.  I'm told this glass, TAG Dalai Llama is a bit of a testing one so perhaps I don't feel so bad.


I've popped these beautiful beads onto Ebay this evening


I've also listed a lot of bead sets and orphan beads on Ebay as well 


Listings will end in 5 days and all have a low starting price
 

For this week's 'Year Long Challenge' item, I made the pretty bead you see at the top of this blog post into a pendant - and a couple of others.  I might list them as pendants without chains, a lot of people already have a favourite chain but if not I can always add chains later or if required.  What for them to pop up in my Etsy or Folksy shop - or in my Facebook shop which links to Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment