About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 19 November 2012

Inspired by Heather!



My friend Heather writes limericks and has her own website to share these.  Today is a limerick about me!  It's the first time I've been mentioned in verse, which is exciting!

As most know, it's all I can do to string words into a sentence some days, on others I make no sense at all.  But Heather has inpsired me to to try harder, and the Benalyn-induced brain-fog has cleared a little.  So here is what Cyril Fletcher would have called an Odd Ode (except he was brilliant and I am not) to my morning at the doctor's, in search for the cure for the common cold.

I would have tried tweeting this but 140 characters is far to restrictive for this verbose verse (and Twitter is one modern technology too far for me).  

If you'd like to follow Heather's words of wisdom then find her on Twitter @hldcroix - she does a very handy line in Kleeneze products and is a speech and language therapist as well if you are local to my area too.

I guess if they'd not deleted Avon and made us North Somerset, we could have renamed Heather The Bard of Avon?  Or did someone else get there first?



Enjoy!




Atishoo!

I’ve gone and got a head cold
It’s making me feel grim
I’ve searched and found a doctor
So thought I’d go tell him
He asked me not to sneeze at all
And ‘please, don’t at me cough’
I’d gone for some help and cures
And ended up told off!

So ‘what is it doc? Will I get well?
By Christmas would be best
Then I can have my planned for op
And not your horrid tests’

But the NHS has other plans
On where to spend its dosh
There’s talk of COPD or worse
(Which is a load of tosh)
I’ve lost my voice and cough a lot
And this cold is in my head
Nothing more, nothing worse
Self-diagnosed – I’m heading back to bed!

[Honest, I have a cold, nothing more so please don't tell me to listen to my Doctor, have x-rays and nasal endoscopies and that I really could be not long for this planet!  The only thing I am planning for the near future (of a medical nature) is to have the alien in my ribcage sorted ASAP.  Preferably before Christmas so I can enjoy the big bowl of roast tatties cooked in duck fat that everyone else will be getting in this house, and not plain boiled spuds!]


No comments:

Post a Comment