About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Sunday, 19 June 2011

So, what can you do with 30m of drainpipe?

I seem to be buying the wierdest things recently. My latest buy is 30m of drain pipe. Why, I hear you ask, have I taken up plumbing? no, but it is really useful for storing glass rods.

I recently bought a 'retiring' lampworker's glass and frit stock. I'm glad I had paid for my holiday firtst else we'd not have been going anywhere. There was rather a lot of it! In the coming weeks, once I have finally got to grips with all that I have I shall be selling some of it - there is more than I will need for many years and in many years I may like to buy some of the new colours for a change.

Back to the pipework! Fortunately the Parcefarce man felt sorry for me and did at least put the 10m package in my hall. With the 10m package came a jiffy bag with a plastic pipe cutter, not a cheapie - we know they won't work - but then neither did the expensive version! It will be returned to Screwfix Monday as 'not fit for purpose'. If it can't do the one thing it is designed for, cutting plastic pipe up to 42mm diameter, then it's not a lot of use. It makes a mucky indentation and darn all else. If you are looking to buyt one of these, I've tried several over the years, all failures so wojuld not recommend a Focus cheapie or Record.



I managed to drag the parcel into the kitchen, no mean feat as my hall is narrow and this is not flexible en-masse. It filled the length of the hall but only half filled the kitchen.


Just for a change it was pouring with rain, so 'my lovely assistant' was unwilling to cut up the pipe into 33cm lengths outdoors. Fortunately after a bit of bribery (I think he was trying to get out of the job) he agreed to do it in one of my studios.


We tried the super-dooper pipe cutter again, just for luck, but abandonned any hope of it working and resorted to using a hacksaw.


In the end I have 87 reasonably straight ended pieces of tubing which I now need to glue into a block for safe storage of all my new glass collection. That's today's project!

No comments:

Post a Comment