About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Countdown to North Somerset Arts Week

Garden supervisor

5 days to go! Will be ready on time?

This weekend we've been concetrating on the garden. 2 years ago people told me to make more of the 'pretty garden setting' in the brochure, so this year I mentioned it and we had the hardest winter ever at Blue Box Studio. It had all got a bit of a mess and a few weeks back I despaired of ever having something resembling a garden, let alone a 'pretty garden setting'. Let's get one thing straight first. My mother could get anything to grow from nothing, even dead plants thrived for her and my father cultivated roses on a grand scale. So, I can bud roses, even prune roses (we kids were trained up from a very early age to belp with the 500+ roses that needed attention every year) but darn if anything else rubbed off on me.



Charlie, carefully avoiding the delphinium much loved by the slugs

I have a willing band of helpers though, well, more press-ganged I suppose. Husband does the heavy work, cats help with the digging. Husband has been known to dig up the 'weeds' [plants] that I planted the day before and the cats happily uproot any newly planted specimen for unmentionable activities.




Still, Nature thinks I need a hand and has also helped.






I am hoping the bluebells last at least to Friday, they are all over the garden and are the major source of colour.





The old woody yellow rose never fails to start early and won't stop flowering until November. It needs a really hard prune to get rid of the really old knarled wood but I daren't in case it has a heart attack and dies on me.






The wall pots in the pretty metal stand on my studio wall is just about coping with the heat and





the apple blossom was so good this year we might actually get more than one apple - it's a family tree growing in a pot so we're not giving it its best chance I suppose. The fig, dwarfed in a tiny pot for a couple of years has now been given a new big home outside my studio, hopefully figs in a couple of years.


So, it's coming along. Potatoes, peas, beans, tomatoes are now planted but won't come into their own for a few more weeks but then I want something to look at after the mad rush of arts week is over and I actually have time to sit in the garden and enjoy the fruits (apples, figs and all) of my labours.




In the midst of all this the sky was full of a lot of shrieking and squarking - gulls seeing off a lone Peregrine falcon soaring overhead, my birdie friends tell me it is one of them anyway, they nest in Court Woods above Clevedon Court apparently; if you know different, fine, I go with what I'm told as I can just about recognise a Robin but not much else :)


No comments:

Post a Comment