About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Saturday, 26 March 2011

Spring is sprung


So finally Spring has sprung. Last week I was lamenting that nothing was looking vaguley alive in our garden and having a mild panic that I've described our Arts Week venue as a 'pretty garden setting'. This week ... a bit of sunshine and my 'dead' plants have made an effort.

I thought nothing bar the fern like weed was alive in the pond, so happy to see the marigold thingy (think it's meant to be a marginal, but we don't have margins).


Very few of the daffodils I carefully selected from a Cornish daffodil farm made an effort to rise about the surface, but the tulips have been a bit more entheusiastic.


Several years ago we bought a tiny camelia plant from Trebah gardens, last year only one flower, this year it has risen to the occasion.


I'd forgotten I had bought this Bleeding Heart (Dicentra somethingorother - I'll never be invited to talk about my garden on Gardners' World - can't remember the normal names let alone the Latin ones!


A reliable cherry. It's lived in a pot since I bought it in 2001. It was originally a Prunus Mume Beni Chidori, that much I can remember. I bought it to remember a beloved pet I lost early in that year, in the hope it would flower early and be a reminder. Strangely my other cat was Benny and he was forever 'chiding' Ginger so the name seemed apt. Sadly the plant always had terrible peach leaf curl and grew badly so we cut it back to the rootstock which had decided to sprout and so far has been curl free. Considering I have mulched with bits of sea glass I can't use for jewellery, give it several doses of grotty water from the lampworking plunge pot - usually with added bead release and bits of broken bead for added bonus, it does well. One of my 2 current ginger toms happily curls up around the trunk and basks in the sunshine. Ginger would have liked that. Actually, no he wouldn't, he'd have given these two a run for their dinner.

So please, no more frost. The bluebells are coming along nicely - as good a bluebell wood you'll find in any tiny suburban garden, we are over run with them. If they could hang on a bit until the beginning of May perhaps I will have the 'pretty garden setting' I've promised people - otherwise I'll be in the garden centre buying up trays of flower to plant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment