About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Saturday, 9 October 2010

More gorgeous lampwork beads and ramblings from a little beader


My life doesn't seem to be my own at the moment, where is the time going? Last weekend my nephew married up't North [I think Chester is officially 'North', and even my geographical dyslexia is not so bad that I think it's south of Clevedon] which with travelling et al took up most of the weekend. The day job has been busy as I cover for absent colleagues and all in all I haven't had as much time as I would like to keep on top of the growinbg list on my 'To Do' pad.

Having decided that Monday I would shut myself away from the world to make beads I settled down to realise the cooker hood extraction in my studio wasn't working. I think I've fried it, it just wasn't up the job of all that heat. Bang go any plans to make anything, I now spent the day researching what else was available within my budget. Yes, I have been making beads this week, with all the doors and windows open, frying the odd moth that thought a dark room with a flame was somewhere worth exploring but all in all it's been an unproductive week. Hopefully Thursday sees the new ventilation installed, I think it will work until I can afford something better - one of the fans I was considering was way over £100 before I added ducting, fitttings and delivery - I need to sell some beads to fund that kind of expenditure.

Spurred on by the success of selling my first sets of beads, I've listed more for sale. As usual, click on the pics to go to the listings. There are still some available in my Etsy and Folksy shops and, if you buy from more than one of my shops at the same time I'll happily combine postage and refund any overcharge on completion of the sale - but it helps if you let me know you are doing this, I have been known to pick up a sale, pack and post within 15 minutes! You just have to catch me at the right time.


So without further ado, here's my latest offerings. There's a slight breeze today so I am heading off to my studio for more beady adventures in a minute, whilst there is some hope of the breeze removing the fumes from the glass and torch through open doors and windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment