About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Thursday, 9 September 2010

Mouse killers!!!!!!!!!



Look at them. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouse; sorry MOUTH.

It's been a while since presents were left for me in the house. Usually it's a nice live frog, discoverfed at 6am as I come downstairs, perhaps something in kit form, often with parts missing. Once a slow worm was coming through the cat flap with a cat attached - but the resulting scream gave it other ideas and it slithered away thank heavens.

Today, as I am welcomed home by my 2 wonderful furry friends I spot a dead tiny mouse on the red rug in the conservatory. As I exclaimed 'who brtought that it?', Charlie (left picture) quietly went and laid down beside and hid it from view with his arm. Did he think I'd not spotted it? Did he think a cuddle would bring it back to life? I don't like mice but I wouldn't hurt one - I think they must live in the alley up the side of my house, an extension of my neighbour's drive which has to be kept free so people in the middle terrace next to me have a fire exit. I guess in a fire you'd not mind the mice, slow worms, weeds et al.

At least Ted has the sense to keep out of my way under the dining table. Poor mouse. I've not had hunting cats before, perhaps I was lucky, perhaps they were lazy. I'd rather these 2 teenagers (14 years) gave up this blood sport.

2 comments:

  1. My friends cats are hunters. I usually have to deal with some delightful present if I'm on kitty feeding duty if he's gone on holiday. I'm afraid to report that they started bringing things in as teenagers and haven't stopped. I've had to deal with rats, mice, slow worms, pigeons, other birdies....its amazing how many feathers a pigeon has.
    They've also gaught squirrels too!! One they brought in pretty much dead and another they brought in live and let go in the lounge. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with those ones!
    xxx
    ps spider/fly/etc feature on hunting cats is very handy though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! Finding a dead mouse is never fun. My cats used to play with mice. Then we got one of those kill and seal traps. Now, the mice are effectively and humanely killed while completely out of view. I don’t have to see it. http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m265#desc

    ReplyDelete