About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Friday, 13 August 2010

Work in progress - my first beads


I've had my new lampwork bead torch for about a month but having amassed a few beads but not having a kiln (yet!) I'm looking on Frit Happens for someone to fire these for me.

So here we have the best of the first.

These are a few of my favourites - I love the purple and black beads, made using frit from That Frit Girl - I went a bit mad and bought rather a lot - another wonderful find on Frit Happens!


One of the things I did want to master was making beads from sea glass. I had hoped that some of the frosting would have remained in the glass but here are my first attempts. The way to do it is NOT to just hold a big bit of sea glass in the torch and hope for the best. Actually that was quite scary and did nothing for the health of the tweezers! I think the best way would be to pull stringers, but I'm still working on that. The clear beads were actually quite dark sea foam sea glass when I started and all were well frosted pieces. There was a wonderful piece of aqua, but that bead broke so it's decorating a flower pot in the garden - all my waste sea glass is used as mulch, it looks great, uses it up and shines beautifully when it rains. I ran out of people to give it to for mosaic, glass art etc, then ran out of space to store it. When I get a kiln, I want to try fusing some into coasters, but that's another story, and might not even be possible.l If you know how to do it, get in touch.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment