About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Thursday, 1 July 2010

My beads have arrived!!

Tuesday, I came home to a parcel on my doormat. I couldn't wait to get it open! Inside were all the beads that my 2 friends and I made on our 3 hour lampworking introduction last Saturday, annealed, cleaned and beautifully wrapped.

These are the beads I made; I don't think it's fair to show my friends work before they've seen them themselves (but I think we've all done rather well for a first attempt!).

They arrived, in a pretty organza bag (ignore the piece of paper, that's so I know whose is whose when I share them out). Inside Georgina, our tutor, had strung three together on a pretty silver chain.

I made 10 beads in all (and would have gone on longer had I not had the time pointed out to me) - I was about to start another bead when they pointed out it was time to go home. Not like me to not notice 'home time'! Must have been enjoying myself.

We chose our colours from the thousands on offer, with a little help on which go together well, hence a lot of my beads looking a bit samey. But then purple is probably my favourite colour.

Clearly making dots is a lot harder than it looks - but I guess it'll all come to me in time. meanwhile, I've ordered the basic kit from Tuffnell Glass which should be arriving tomorrow - I shall be waiting in for the delivery.

I think my studio may need a bit of sorting before I can set up - I already have an extractor ready to be installed so I don't gas myself. My current set up has a large cut-out in the worktop for a jeweller's bench (now hidden away) so I may need to replace the worktop. We'll see. If I can work with what I have I shall certainly be doing so as I want to get started.

So watch this space as the story unfolds.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blues! Bead on!
    Hope you have a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete