About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Thursday, 1 April 2010

At the end of the day




Sea glass
(also known as beach glass, mermaid's tears, Neptune’s jewels, and many other names) is glass found on beaches that has been tumbled and smoothed by the movement of the water and sand, creating small pieces of smooth, frosted glass. It includes glass made from various techniques and for various reasons: end of day glass, flashed glass, pressed glass, milk bottles, poison bottles, the list is endless……... Sea glass is one of the very few cases of a valuable item being created from the actions of the environment on man-made litter. Most sea glass will be 50 - 100 years old, some much older.



I only use genuine sea glass, most of which has been personally collected from beaches around the South West of England. Other pieces have been sourced from fellow collectors around the world, when UK beaches will not yield the colours I am seeking.



"End-of-day" glass was any item made by the glass workers in their own time at the end of the day using up the remaining molten glass in the crucibles. It therefore tended to be a mixture of colours. Another name for the items they made was "frigger" (UK) or "whimsy" (US). Often the items they made from the glass were walking sticks, rolling pins or animals; sometimes items for their own home or for their sweethearts and sometimes the items were made for sale. End of day sea glass is an even rarer vintage find than ordinary sea glass and much will be from the early 1800s. Many of the English glass works were in the North East, and the last of these closed in 1933.


Equally rare and just as beautiful is beach pottery; shards of wave smoothed pottery from plates, bowls, vases, pots, long discarded. To find a piece with a discernible pattern is exciting although I am yet to find a piece I could actually attribute to a recorded maker or pattern.



Who knows what these items were originally and what pleasure they gave before washing up on a distant shore to give more pleasure to the finder and the wearer?



All of these pieces are available from my shops, click on the pictures to be taken to the item. All are also £10 / $15 plus postage, boxed ready for giving to friends, family or perhaps for yourself. Who doesn't need a treat from time to time?


4 comments:

  1. they are all beautiful. I'm amazed that sea glass is usually so old. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it in future
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece of informative writing, I am going to look out for sea glass now, you have got me inspired,
    Em.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I've spent a lot of time researching the history of sea glass so that customers could be given some information when they purchase - much of that is reproduced here (and is my own (c) text).

    Once you start searching out sea glass, you'll be hooked, I promise.

    ReplyDelete