About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Enforced downtime - take 2!


Following on from my earlier post, my next attempt to get into hospital is almost upon us. I feel strangely calm about this, although I might feel differently at 5am on Wednesday morning.

So, I'll be out of action for a short while, hopefully not more than a couple of week - the boss is expecting me back at the day job by then; DH is in charge of Blue Box Studio's 5 shops and will be given 'constant encouragement' to check my emails, find sold items, package and despatch. My apologies in advance if things take a little longer than normal but he insists he also has a life of his own and is not my personal slave.

Meanwhile I shall be enjoying our new digital TV and learning all the tricks the digital hard drive thingy can manage. Never a fan of daytime TV, I suspect I shall become an expert in 2005 property prices and the value of the rubbish, sorry 'treasures', in peoples' attics that will be worth a fortune once they get them to auction. Or not.

Whilst I can walk and window shop in town, I can't carry more than I can get in my left hand with my handbag. That rules out most things. My dominant arm will be in a sling so clothes shopping is out, or will take me ages and I'll lose interest. I could write my memoires but won't be able to read anything I've written with my left hand, nor recognise designs if I get creative. I'm not sure how I'll manage with my computer so may not be able to spend the day on the forms either.

No, sadly, I shall be a frequent visitor to the library in the hope they have some good DVDs I can borrow and some lightweight books I've not already read. Perhaps the exercise of walking and not being able to open a packet of biscuits one-handed will create a new me. I fear not.

The men with the white jacket with sleeves that tie up at the back are booked for Friday, I shall be ready for them by then. I hate being inactive and the post-op period is the bit I dread most.

Wish me luck. Wish DH even more luck as he has to put up with me being the 'perfect patient' for 48 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the op, hope all goes well. Take care! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it all goes fine :D
    Don't worry about not being able to open a packet of biscuits one-handed - just use yer teeth!
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete