About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Wednesday, 31 March 2010

A bit of inspiration ...!


I don't know what made me remember this today. At a time when my life was, frankly, a pile of what my late aunt would have called 'doggy do-do' and I believed my life had little value to myself or anyone else, I came across the following quote by Eleanor Roosevelt. In my case it was very true. Having picked myself up by my bootstraps (metaphorically speaking) I realised no one else would fight my corner if I didn't do it, and do I darn well did!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."

She also said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Next time you or someone you know feels the world, or someone in particular, is making your life a pile of doggy do-do, remember these.

As a friend said, noticing the change in me after the light in my brain came back on; "Hell has no fury like a woman scorned" [
William Congreve, in The mourning bride, 1697] "The bitch is back!" [I'm not a bitch but neither am I a doormat any more].

Have you a favourite inspirational saying? Share them here.

2 comments:

  1. good for you! i'm especially liking the quote about no one being able to make you feel inferior - i think it's an important one for me to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, these comments are really inspirational and ones that should be put on every bathroom mirror and every fridge door so that every morning they were read to entrench in ones mind, self belief and a heightened self esteem. I have gone through so much in the past couple of years and the most poignent of your qoutes to me is the one about no one can make you feel inferior without your consent - it is so true, you only feel that way and allow others to effect you if you choose to. We all have a choice even though at times it does not feel so, but we must always find enough strength when we are low to disregard the bad - after all it has no value.
    Wish I had a really inspirational quote to add, alas my mind deserts me atm ;o(, but I will be keeping the ones you have published here in my mind from now on.
    Love your blogs,
    Em.x

    ReplyDelete