About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Thursday, 18 February 2010

The search goes on .....


Several weeks ago I asked Folksy members if they could identify a church for me. Years ago I visited a church in Devon or Cornwall with a car park on the cliff edge, remote, sad, many graves of souls who perished under the wheels of the London stage, lost at sea, that sort of thing. It was a warm day yet the church yard felt cold and the wind sounded wailing. For years I forgot about it but several years ago I decided to visit again but had forgotten where.



Several suggestions were made, Morwenstow in North Cornwall, St Edonoc in Daymer Bay, St Gennys. In Cornwall last week we headed off with a map in one hand and a hope of finding the right place.




First stop Morwenstow, the farthest on our journey. I visited here a few years ago, on this search, but it's not the right place. A previous vicar had walked down the cliff to give Christian burials to souls who perished on the waves and a figure head from one of the ships marks the captain's grave (the original is in the church, a copy on the grave).



Very pretty, but not the right place.

Next stop St Gennys. This pretty church might have the right credentials but the car park was not on the cliff edge and there weren't obviously any graves to souls lost at sea or other sad circumstances.

That's Alistair trying to work out how to tell me there don't seem to be any un-named graves here!

But they'd found a beautiful vase for some flowers

several ornate and matching table tombs, but this one caught my eye, simple, to the point and a genealogist's nightmare ...

and so the search went on. We discounted St Edonoc at Daymer Bay because it was on the beach - the sand often covered the church so the vicar and congregation had to enter the church through a door near the roof. So not on a cliff edge then. It was also a walk through a long established golf course, albeit a pretty one, and I definitely parked next to the church on a cliff edge.

Alistair wanted to visit Boscastle again so we headed off in that direction on a cold but bright day. Never without an ulterior motive, someone had mentioned Forrabury church, high on the hill above the village. I went into the tourist office, warmer inside than out, and spoke to the ladies there who thought I was a ghoulish soul. I can't help it, I love church yards. They said Forrabury wasn't on a cliff edge so not my place, but ..... Tintagel was.

Armed with a map and instructions to turn left opposite a car park and down a steep hill, off we went. St Materiana's is on a cliff edge ...


just not the right one! We toured the church yard and there was one memorial to a lost sailor and some interesting tombs but whichever way I looked at it, it's not the one.


Stunning stained glass windows though.

So, the search goes on. Do you know where in Devon or Cornwall there is a church, perched on the cliff edge, with the car park being a rough piece of ground overlooking the sea? There will be graves by the gate to souls lost under the wheels of the London stage (coach), and lost at sea. It'll be bleak and solitary. It's got to be there somewhere, I didn't dream it!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post. This summer I want to take a weekend road trip and try and find some ancient cemeteries... I do hope you find the one you've been trying so hard to locate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and photos Sue, I have no idea though but am very intreagued now, looking forward to follow ups,
    Em.x

    ReplyDelete