About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Friday, 29 January 2010

At last, normality!


Finally the decorating is finished and my 'office' is sort of back to normal. Well, as normal I ever get.

The room is tiny, it's still dark outside (with little promise of a sunny day at the moment) so the photos are pretty poor but they give a flavour. I forgot to save the 'before' photo so you'll have to take my word that this is a million times better than before ~ battleship grey (or was that bluebell white?) walls, yellowing 'white' paint, a white wooden curtain pole and some peachy-creamy tab curtains. The ceiling was covered in 1960s bubbly paper and once was home to a ceiling rose but now showed a star of paper cuts. I'm not selling well, am I?

Now, I was working to a budget so lets not go too mad. I thought to ask the plasterer how much to plaster over the bubbly ceiling paper before he trotted over to give a formal quote and then, in a Fagin moment was 'reviewing the situation'! I found a ceiling rose in Focus that already came with a big hole to fit over the light fitting that was there, with a bit of tweaking with a Stanley knife it fitted and was stuck over the light fitting without the need for an electrician to remove the bits and bobs for me. Several coats of white paint later [tip, avoid Focus basic emulsion, it was less brilliant white than the old painted ceiling, do buy the white that goes on pink so you can see where you've been, it's brilliant, and brilliant white]. Big save on not using a pasterer until vitally necessary.

I dithered over whether I should use the Dulux Light & Space Lunar Falls yellow or the Mint Whisper green. Fate decided, only Lunar Falls was in stock. It did take 3 coats to cover the battleship grey though. I'm a convert to Dulux Satinwood, easier for an idiot (me) to use than gloss so the woodwork is now white and not Nicotine Beige. My budget didn't run to a new carpet which is light brown, but it's what my mother would have called 'serviceable', and it doesn't show the dirt. A quick Vax and it was a slightly lighter shade of brown.

I discovered decorating a room less than 7 foot square is harder and takes longer than a large room; you have to keep stopping to move things around.

My new desk is a piece of black and grey gloss kitchen worktop off Freecycle so matched the budget and was good karma. My new storage, Elfa baskets were a bit expensive but worth it as I now have a dedicated post area. I already had the frames and some baskets, others are in use elsewhere around the house so I bought some more and made myself get organised. Now I can easily get to my shop stock, so much better than stacking boxes that didn't stack well and took up a lot of space. They are on castors so I can wheel them out of the way if ever I need to get to the bottom shelf of the book case.

There's still some sorting to be done but I'm now back and functioning. I'm going to make a keyboard tray to go under my worktop table as the table is a little higher than I wanted but had to go over a 2 drawer filing cabinet - I can make that from a kit I've discovered in Homebase and the old mouse shelf on my old desk. I think my trusty jig saw, £10 from Focus will just about manage that if I am careful.

Has it been worth a week's upheaval? You bet.

As promised, the last of the goodie bag prizes have been put together in one envelope and a name drawn from the hat by husband as he shot out of the door this morning ...

and the winner is ...

Vintage Milly. Everything left in the goody bag will be wrapped and posted on to you as soon as I have your name and address.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I am delighted, thank you very much,
    your room looks fab - super organised, you got me thinking about sorting my ever expanding corner of the spare room - maybe I can take over the full room - hmm thats a thought, anyway, wishing you lots of productive times in your new very organised space.
    Em.x

    ReplyDelete