Over the years I have hoarded a lot of things on a whim, thinking I would get around to using them one day. Recently there were two destash swaps on Folksy, organised by fellow shop owners through the forums, and seeing this to be a guilt free way to remove some of my hoard I took part in both. Beads, pendants, ribbons, lace have gone out and fabrics have come in.
My last parcel contained lots of fabrics, nets (which I've never worked with before, being a child in the 50s, not of the 50s) a handy tape measure (can never find one when you want one) and lots lots more. I was itching to make something with them today and have come up with a couple of things.
First up I made a fabric brooch. I think it looked better without the cerise pink on the top but it is the seed of an idea and something I will be developing over the coming weeks. I am intending they will be inexpensive items for brightening up a coat, bag or jumper.
Next, using some very pretty black and gold fabric, gold net, apricot satin and cream fabric, all from my destash swap, I made this evening bag. I already had some magnetic fastenings and the black rat tail for the straps. I'm really pleased with it. Inside is a large pocket, large enough to take your mobile phone and a small purse and the bag holds quite a bit. It's the same size as other small shoulder bag in my Etsy shop, and I also have a few more to list.
My favourite charity at the moment is Holly Hedge animal sanctuary, near Bristol (UK). I try to raise funds for them with some of my items and at fairs and have decided that I'll give 75% of the sale price from bags made from materials I was given through swaps to Holly Hedge. The remaining 25% will cover the items I bought for the bags.
If you live in the Bristol area and can offer a pet a home, or you can offer financial support, please visit the Holly Hedge site. If you'd like to buy any of my items supporting Holly Hedge, visit my Etsy and Folksy shops and search for Holly Hedge and charity tags in my listings.