About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 23 November 2009

Where is the time going?


One minute I have all my autumn fairs ahead of me and the next they are nearly all over. When I booked them 10 months ago the plan of fairs seemed a doddle, now it feels like a day off would be a nice treat.

So, this weekend was 2 fairs at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Saturday in Portishead, the heavens blew and rained on us but we saw lots of people and overall had a brilliant day - even if we got very wet loading the car afterwards. Sunday should have been in a permanent marquee in the grounds of a busy pub, but we were relegated to a temporary marquee which felt it wouldn't keep the rain off our heads in the ensuing gales and downpours. Sunday was a bad day. Cold, wet, damp, and that was just us sitting in the marquee. Never mind, taken as a whole in wasn't a washout financially, even if it was physically. I'm yet to thaw out completely but hot toddy's are staving off the chills and colds, coughs and sneezes.


Thursday evening will see us at Northleaze School in Long Ashton near Bristol, from 7pm to 9.30. I've never taken part in a short evening fair before and don't really know what to expect. I'm taking a mix of inexpensive items which will be ideal for children's gifts and more expensive items for Mums. I'm used to a 9 foot space but will have 44 inches so it'll be a challenge although the organiser has said she'll try and find me a couple of feet for my scarf and bag stands. Wish me luck, I think I might need it.


Saturday and Sunday sees us at the Winter Gardens in Weston-super-Mare. It's right on the sea front so we'll either have lovely views or be battered by the high winds and waves. This is the only Weston-s-Mare fair that I do. There is a lovely restaurant so visitors can spend some time in the venue; it's close to the shops so is not off the beaten track. We'll be in the Ballroom, sounds grand, and hopefully we will see a good crowd of both visitors and stall holders.

And the seaside pictures? I guess they just resemble time for me and are photos taken over the last year or two by Yours Truly. they are, from the top:

Wooden pier, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
Remains of wood posts, somewhere on the Isle of Wight that had no sea glass on the beach
Receding tide - I think that was in south Wales
Setting sun, Totland Bay, Isle of Wight

All photos on this blog are (c) Sue Harris and may not be copied without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment