About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Friday, 6 November 2009

Pretty boxes for your pressies


Working at craft fairs every weekend from September to Christmas means a bit of forward planning is required when it comes to the all important Christmas shopping. I can't bear the crowds on Christmas Eve! This year I started earlier than normal and bought most of my presents on-line. Where would I be without Etsy, Folksy and Amazon?!

Wrapping presents has never been my strong point - despite once having a Christmas holiday job working in John Lewis as a gift wrapper. It seemed so much easier when I was 18. Or perhaps it's because JL provided endless sizes and shapes of box in which to wrap difficult shaped items, many colours of ribbon and ready made bows, and fantastic bags to carry it all home in.

This year I wanted to make my Christmas as 'handmade' as possible - be it my hands or someone else's. So I started making my own boxes. One of my challenges was a box suitable for gift wrapping my sea glass bottle stoppers which I sell at fairs and I started making pillow boxes for this. Sometimes the pieces of sea glass are just a bit big for the pillow boxes so I turned to wedge boxes, stocking up on beautiful double sided pearlescent card stock at a local store.

I've thoroughly enjoyed making these so I made a few for you too. If you'd like them. These are a handy size for small gifts (from necklace to diamonds) or chocolates and, so that you can decorate them to your own theme, I've included ribbons but left plain for you to decorate. They'd look wonderful used as place markers for Christmas parties or dinner, perhaps holding chocolates, something scented or a cigar for your guests. They are made from 240gsm card
stock so are tough enough be filled with light things
and hung from the Christmas tree
(assuming your tree is big enough).

I'm selling these in packs of 2, scored and ready to be folded in a with card and ribbons in a variety of colours. The pastel pearlescent card subtly changes colour as the light falls on it so they look really pretty. The packs are mixed colours but if you have any special requests then get in touch and I'm sure something can be worked out for you.

These boxes are available from my Etsy and Folksy stores.

My stores will close around 10pm tonight (UK time) and re-open by Monday morning, perhaps sooner if I get back from my Sunday fair as a civilised hour. I'm at the Green Dragon Hotel in the city of Hereford tomorrow and at the Chase Hotel, Ross on Wye on Sunday. If you are in the area come and say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment