About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Of walks and water - Hestercombe

Near to the formal gardens at Hestercombe there is a large lake, fed from a larger lake higher up the estate and a leat and waterfall. On the lower lake there is a solitary swan, I guess he or she must have lost their mate. He has a couple of ducks for company but seems to spend most of his time ewither swimming around in peaceful solitude or chasing off the ducks. I don't know what I thought swans ate, but this one eats grass. Perhaps he thinks he's a sheep or cow.


The lower part of the lake feeds a boggy area, I suspect once a mill pond. To get there the water passes under a culvert and falls to a waterfall before going under the path to the boggy area.

Because I am writing this as the walk, the photo of the bottom waterfall follows later. Believe me it will be worth the wait!

Following the path around from the bottom lake gives a beautiful vista of a tall waterfall

Beneath this is a stream which trips and falls towards the bottom lake from the top feeder lake.

As the path reaches the top lake, it forks to go higher into the estate or, as in our case, across the front of the top lake, returning down the other side of the stream. The feed from the take to the stream is bridged


and the yew tree by the bridge is where we saw the tiny Horseshoe bat, mentioned in the June blog about Hestercombe. No swans on this lake, just curious ducks.


We followed the path back down towards our starting point, alongside us ran a small leat (artificial water course)


brick lined and sided, fallen leaves bobbins along. The end of the leat


passes under a small culvert and feeds the tall waterfall shown earlier - now seen from above


- I couldn't see the waterfall because it was underneath the overhang, and I wasn't about to lean further over the wall!

The path soon brought me back down to the bottom lake where I forked off to join the path to the formal gardens, passing on my way the decorative waterfall feeding the boggy area from the bottom lake - I hope you think it was worth the wait!


I liked the way the light was playing on the roof of the culvert - hard to show in a photograph.

So where next? Formal garden or buildings in the grounds. This really is a place where you could spend all day wandering and hardly seeing a soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment