About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Friday, 6 November 2009

Last stop on the Hestercombe tour

is the formal garden, designed by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.



Entrance to the formal garden, whichever way you come, is through some fabulous gates


these also lead through to steps taking you to the top terrace




with fine views of the house.

Along the side walls are round windows, with glimpses of the land beyond

and a clear unobstructed view of the Somerset skyline from the house

This stream, man made, is fed from a beautiful water feature - I'd love this one in my garden!


and dotted around all the stone terraces and paths are old mill stones, the centre of which has been filled with stacked flower pots - I remember seeing this as a suggestion for a patio on a gardening programme years ago - time-wise somewhere between crazy paving and decking crazes in the UK!


I rather like them. The old mill is being restored as a visitor centre and another cafe (oh good, more coffee and cakes!), to be open by Easter next year.

In the formal garden there is also a beautiful Orangery


When we visited earlier in the year the oranges and lemons were outside enjoying the summer, now they are indoors. The Orangery brings back memories for me, of being at boarding school in a minor stately home and having lessons in an Orangery. I didn't appreciate it then.


Wouldn't this be a wonderful venue for a wedding?

So at the end of my walk, I crossed the front of the house and walked up th stone steps back towards the main entrance, shop and restaurant


clutching the leaves I had collected along the way


My plan was to stick these to a silk screen and devore some velvet scarves using the leaves as a template. Sadly, by the time I got home and loaded the car for Sunday's craft fair, it was too late to start work again and they are now beautifully dried, but unusable for screen printing.

Just another excuse to go again and enjoy a day at Hestercombe.

No comments:

Post a Comment