About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 26 October 2009

Monday, Monday (with more musical apologies)

Thank heavens I don't usually work in an office on Mondays! I need today to sort out all the things that need sorting from the weekend's fairs.

Saturday was a great day. Despite poor weather in the morning we had one of our best days, if not the best, in 15 years. If only they were all like this.

Sunday held great promise. The venue was stunning but the promised crowds did not arrive. Tale was told of a previous organiser selling in trade stalls towards the end and no fairs at this venue for a couple of years so a few of us who have not been there before wondered whether perhaps the venue did not have a reputation for holding great fairs. It should have been better and deserved to have been better attended but the GBP [Great British Public] did not attend in force to spend GBP [Great Britain Pounds] although lots said they'd perhaps see us later this or next year! Sadly for us many small businesses there may not be a 'next year'. If there is, there may not be a 'next year' at that venue. It really is a case of 'use us or lose us'.

Overheard conversation: 'It's really good that they keep going, but why are they so expensive? Still, it's somewhere to bring Mum for a day out and she likes to look at the pretty things'. Fortunately my husband is a fund raiser by profession so will now be seeking an EU subsidy or grant so I and many other artisans of hand made produducts can become a properly funded community service and resource. As one stall holder, not having a good day said, she had added a 4th P to her list of 3 Ps to describe customers - Pick up, Play round with, Put down, P*ss off! She has beautiful work and deserved better. I know my box and display of clutch bags frequently turned into a dump box because people opened everyone of the bags and just dumped them back down when they were well arranged. One customer even managed to knock a heavy based light, right at the back of my bag display, right over to the floor. What she was doing reaching back beyond the edge of the stall I have no idea but the light was steady and well out of arms and harms reach.

Amongst a lot of 4Ps were some wonderful people who had an eye for and an appreciation of the time and trouble I put into my work and presentation. We met some lovely people, many of whom were shopping early for Christmas. I have my work cut out this week to get some stock levels sorted.

Enough of my moans and rambles; the printer has finished printing labels for carrier bags and the shops will soon be open in town.

A final report on the tote bag stand I made a week or so ago. Plan B is still on the cards, but Plan A2 is now in action. I ordered a Lazy Susan mechanism last week and it arrived Friday. A quick trawl of the internet found me some instructions to fit (it was the hole through the base to screw on the top level that confused me) and out came the trusty tools again. More neighbours running for cover as the drill comes into action again! My stand now rotates, which turned out to be a vital adaptation. I'm still not 100% happy with it but it's a good working model until I get time to make something fancier. It certainly meant my bags got more attention, which was the aim.

So a quick photo. Ignore the darkness, and the wall paper - I had no control over either, despite having 8 lights over my stall. Perhaps I also need to design some kind of freestanding light display as well for those days when my stall turns out to bein a dark corner.



I was also going to take some photos of the inside of the beautiful building I was in yesterday but a combination of 'no photos' when I had time and no time when no one was looking meant it didn't happen. Apart from the flock wallpaper it was a beautiful building.

1 comment: