About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Saturday, 10 October 2009

I think I have a solution ....

to the tote bag display dilemma.

After much reading of suggestions, working through what will and won't work, what fitted the brief (1 foot width) and what didn't (unless I win the lottery and can afford more space), DH and I have decided that although no one actually came up with the winning formula, someone did give me enough to be going on with to hopefully make this happen. I've decided that I will award my prize to Helen of HJ Crafts on Folksy. Helen, I'll be in touch. I'm also awarding a small prize to someone who not only tried to give ideas but also went beyond everyone else and found some links to inspire me. Kelly of Ksewingbasket I'll be in touch.

Pictures of the final effort will be posted on my blog. I need to first find some double ended screw thingies with metal bits I can screw into (I know what I mean) so I can frequently screw in and remove arms for my bags to hang off at fairs. I have no idea what they are called but I have a great fixings store nearby and they are sure to be able to help. They are used to me turning up with a strange item and asking for 'some of these'.

The thingy is basically a double ended screw that screws into a metal threaded thingy in the wood. If anyone knows the proper name for 'thingy' do enlighten me as I've googled a few options and none have returned the right 'thingy'. Picture is of a warping board a wood turner made for me and the 'thingies' were readily available at the time. We've since lost touch so I can't ask.

1 comment:

  1. you need what is called a metal to wood dowl such as http://www.bsjfixings.com/details.php?productID=2826

    and you will also need some t nuts http://www.bsjfixings.com/details.php?productID=2527

    you don't need to buy from this supplier, but it does give you the correct details for what your looking for