About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 19 October 2009

Beat the post strike, buy from me at fairs!

We're in a recession and now we have a post strike. How is a girl supposed to save up for another Gucci handbag?!

Seriously, I'll keep posting orders whilst I can and when I can't because they block up the post boxes, I'll find another way to get orders out. I'm exploring the options with a company called Collect+. Meanwhile the easiest way to get your Christmas shopping done this year is to visit me at a craft fair where you will not only see the lovely handmade things I make but also the beautiful things other people make too. And you get to meet the maker!

So, here's where you can find me over the next couple of weeks:

This Saturday, 24 October I will be at the Guildhall in the market square, Salisbury. This is a beautiful building and worth a look for that alone. It's also market day so come and get your groceries at the same time. This fair runs from 9.30 to 5pm. A very central venue, there are car parks, park and ride stops and bus stops nearby. Centrally located for cashpoints too as many of us don't take cards (nice idea but horrendously expensive, even if cheques are less common nowadays - banks please take note)

Sunday 25 October sees me at Grittleton House from 10am to 5pm. I've not been here before but it is situated about 12 miles from junction 17 on the M4. At junction 17 head north towards Malmesbury and Cirencester, then take the 1st left, signposted Grittleton and follow that road. I hope the organiser's directions are good as I'll be following them. Kevin's fairs are always wonderfully signposted so keep an eye out for the signs.

More about my November fairs nearer the time. I've added another to the diary, at a local school on the evening of 26 November. It's a long time since I've done a school fair, and they used not to work for me but I now have a wider range of less expensive items so we will see. I like to support the local community but at the end of the day Blue Box Studio is a business, not a hobby, and has to pay its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment