About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

I Must Go Down to the Sea

There are times when I just have to see the sea. I know I live next to the sea, but it's an estuary and not quite the same. I sometimes need the open sea. One of these times has been creeping up on me for a week or two. I needed to walk along the beach and pick up sea glass. I needed to smell the sea air and feel the sand on my feet.

Monday, I managed to get my fix! Leaving very early in order to catch the tide, we headed off to one of our favourite beaches in Cornwall. The tide wasn't quite out enough so we headed on to the next town and, after several false starts, managed to get a decent 'Full English' breakfast. Just what we needed after 2 1/2 hours on the road and a bit of time to kill. Refreshed we headed back to The Beach to find we weren't alone - lots of RIBs, kids making sandcastles, yet it was a wet and windy day. The Brits are so hardy when it comes to the beach in a British summer! Several hours later, with pockets filled with beautiful sea glass we headed back to the car.

Desperate for a Cornish Pasty lunch we headed back to the town again, the village shop had sold out. Luck was in and we bought a few extra so we could enjoy them when we got home. Of course, having come this far for the day we had to maximise beach-time and wandered over a couple more beaches in the town and filled our pockets with more sea glass.

Heading home as the sun set, we'd had a wonderful day. I hadn't realised this little corner of England was seriously achieveable as a day trip so we'll be back for more days out in deepest darkest Cornwall.

So, in memory of our day out, a poem. And a photo or two.





I Must Go Down to the Sea

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

- John Masefield

1 comment:

  1. a lovely descriptive day out, really enjoyed reading your experience! I'd like to see the sea glass you collected :)

    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete