About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Monday, 27 July 2009

Well, these have lasted well! A beginner's tale



My father was a rose grower - usually there were 1000 roses in our garden that were to be pruned and budded so we kids learned the entire process from an early age. Mum and Dad went along the row cutting the slots for the buds to go into, then we kids followed on putting in the buds, tying up the cuts etc.

Roses were Dad's life and I felt it would be nice to celebrate his birthday with roses. Dad had his favourites but you can't buy them now, everyone wants Happy Birthday, Congratulations, Golden Wedding, not Superstar, Peace and Ena Harkness!

My next plan was that DH and I would have buttonholes for the day, but I'd never made these before and funds didn't run to the florist this week. Plan B part 2 - resort to the internet!

There are several excellent tutorials on line and using a combination of these I made several buttonholes, with spares in case of overnight disasters, using roses growing in my garden. I'm quite pleased with the results.

But how to keep them fresh overnight? Well, if anyone also has this question in their mind, there are 2 ways, equally successful although the second leaves you with wet ribbon!

1 - pop them in a plastic bag, blow into the bag to inflate, seal with a clippy or a knot. The carbon dioxide keeps them fresh. Don't ask me what carbon dioxide, I skipped that bit.

2 - pop them in a lidded polybox with a bit of damp kitchen roll. Seal box. Flowers kept well but ribbons were wet next morning so not much use for pinning to my dress. My vote goes to the plastic bag method. Worked a treat and flowers were fresh next morning, ready for a day's wear and tear.

1 comment: