About Me

My photo
North Somerset, United Kingdom
My parents were worried when I ran around with scissors – now I play with fire and (intentionally) break glass! Based in the beautiful South West of England, close to the sea and often the scene of beautiful sunsets, I am inspired by the countryside around. Working with sea glass collected from remote beaches, soda lime glass from Murano, Italy, Europe, USA and beyond, I create artisan beads, for use in my own jewellery or for you to enjoy in your own creations. But I couldn’t stop there; continuing the theme from round rods to flat sheets, mostly from the USA, I break large sheets of transparent, opaque, multi-coloured and dichroic glass into much smaller pieces to make a kiln-formed range of bright, colourful jewellery and home decoration. Each piece I make is individually designed around the shape, size and beauty of the materials and intended to be unique, wearable, usable and affordable. All my glass work is kiln annealed for strength and durability and designed to give pleasure for years to come.

Thursday, 12 February 2009

On the street where I live ...

Well, not quite. By way of a bit more introduction I thought I'd mention the beautiful town where I live.

Clevedon is the 2nd largest town in the county but most of the locals still refer to it as a village. I'm not sure when a village becomes a town or a town a city. It's on the Severn estuary and, because it doesn't have a beach to speak of, it's not become a bucket and spade resort like Weston-
Super-Mare, a few miles away. We're about 15 miles from Bristol and I was amused when I first moved here to find some people think taking their children to the sea side is to come to Clevedon! To me the sea side is Bournemouth or Weymouth, where I used to live, with miles of golden sands. Not a Victorian watering hole with stony beaches. We do have a wonderful Victorian pier though.
I believe it was made from some spare bits of metal from one of Brunel's projects, but don't quote me on that. Find out more about it at http://www.clevedonpier.com .

We also have
oldest purpose-built, continually operating cinema in the world. The original building opened in 1912, and films have been presented on this site ever since. The Curzon is now a community cinema, operated as a registered charity. If this interests you then have a look at http://www.curzon.org.uk . We love it; a multiplex it is not, the main film cannot start until the ice cream kiosk has drawn its curtains! If you are ever in this area, do take the time to visit - they even run tours of the building and the old projectors etc. A film buffs delight. It would be wonderful to see it restored to its former glory and they are fund raising for this. I've no idea what they were showing when this picture was taken - it is a popular venue for the locals! For a tiny cinema they show many popular films, not an easy task for a community cinema with limited funding.



No comments:

Post a Comment